I love baking with fruit and vegetables. The idea of getting extra nutrition into a cake, loaf or slice just makes me happy. This recipe is my latest way of doing that.
Apple, pear and zucchini loaf
- 2 eggs
- 250g brown sugar
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 390g self raising flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 cup grated apple
- 1 cup grated pear
- 1 cup grated zucchini
- Optional: A sprinkle of cinnamon and brown sugar to top.
- Preheat oven to 160°c, and line a loaf tin with greaseproof paper.
- Combine eggs, sugar, milk, oil, and vanilla in a mixing bowl.
- Sift in dry ingredients, and fold in gently.
- Add the grated fruit and vegetables and gently stir in until all ingredients are well combined.
- Pour into the lined tin.
- If desired, sprinkle with some more cinnamon and brown sugar.
- Bake for an hour, or until the loaf springs back when gently pressed.
- Cool, then serve in thick slices.
You can pre-cut slices of this loaf and freeze it for school or kinder lunches. It also makes a really great afternoon snack for people who have come home hungry from work or school and have to wait a while for dinner time.
If you prefer muffins, this batter can also be spooned into muffin cases and baked that way, though you should reduce the cooking time to about 45 mins if you’re doing this. It makes about 12.