We’ve been having some cold and rainy days in Melbourne lately. One of my favourite things to do on these days is get in the kitchen and bake. Having a snug, cosy house, full of the warm smells of baking makes autumn and winter extra nice. Arty always loves to help, and the fruits of our labours almost always end up in his lunchbox, for kinder. Everyone’s happy!
These muffins are easy to make with a small person, and the added oats make them that little bit more substantial and filling than ordinary ones.
Blueberry, apple and oat mini muffins
- 3/4 cup self raising flour
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup quick oats
- 1/4 cup apple juice
- 1/4 cup dried blueberries
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- 1 medium apple, peeled and grated
- Icing sugar to dust (optional)
- Place blueberries and apple juice in a small bowl, and set aside for at least an hour (preferably a few) to allow the blueberries to plump up.
- Preheat oven to 180°c, and line a 24 hole mini muffin tin with patty pans.
- Sift flour into a mixing bowl.
- Add all other ingredients and stir to combine.
- Distribute mixture evenly between patty pans.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes, until they spring back when gently pressed.
These guys can be frozen for school lunches, and are also a great treat for a little indoor tea party on a rainy day. Yum.