This meal is anything but fancy – it’s all about comfort. The goats cheese and polenta are yummy additions, but the beans are just as delicious served on toast.
Home made beans with creamy polenta and goat’s chevre
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4 middle rashers of bacon, chopped
- 1 brown onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tsp paprika
- 800g canned diced tomatoes
- 2 tsp golden syrup
- 800g cannellini beans
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- ½ bunch continental parsley, finely chopped (optional)
- 4 tbsp goats chèvre, crumbled (optional)
- 1 cup polenta
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cups water
- Heat the oil in a deep frying pan or saucepan, then add the bacon and fry until it begins to brown.
- Add the onion, and cook until tender.
- Add garlic, oregano, and paprika and cook for about 1 minute or until fragrant.
- Add the tomatoes, beans, syrup, and tomato paste. Simmer gently, stirring occasionally, for 10-15 mins.
- Meanwhile combine the water and milk in a saucepan and bring to the boil.
- Pour in the polenta, while stirring vigourously. Continue to stir as the polenta thickens. Season to taste with salt.
- Serve the beans over the polenta with a sprinkling of parsley and chèvre.
Inexpensive. Easy to prepare. Enjoyed by every member of the family. This recipe is a total winner.