Is there anything more revolting than an overripe banana? Probably, but I have several in front of me at the moment, and their noxious pong is clouding my ability to think of anything worse.
Luckily, I have a use for them.
Mini banana muffins (with a hint of spice)
- 3 ripe bananas, mashed
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup natural yoghurt
- 75g butter, melted
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups self raising flour
- 3/4 cup brown sugar (plus extra for sprinkling)
- 1/4 tsp Dutch cinnamon (plus extra for sprinkling)
- a small grating of fresh nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees celsius (ours is a fan-forced oven, so make yours a little hotter if it’s not).
- Place 36 mini patty pans in muffin tins and set aside.
- Whisk together mashed banana, egg, yoghurt, melted butter, and vanilla.
- Add flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, and sugar, and whisk gently to combine.
- Divide mixture between patty pans. I like to pipe mine because I’m the messiest human in the world, but spooning it is fine if you’re not me.
- Sprinkle each muffin with a tiny bit of brown sugar, and a smidgen of cinnamon.
- Bake for 13 minutes, or until they spring back when gently poked.
While they will smell delicious when you’ve just taken them out of the oven, they’ll be quite tricky to get out of their wrappers until they’ve cooled, so hold off before you eat them if you can manage it.
These are perfect for lunch boxes, or a quick afternoon tea with a glass of milk. They freeze happily, and defrost quickly because they’re nice and small.
If you prefer your muffins in non-mini size, use regular muffin tins and bake them for about 20 mins. This mixture should yield about 14-18.
Hooray! We turned something disgusting into something delicious!