Feel like you need to spruce up your dress ups with some fab accessories? Why not make them yourself?
Arty, SJ and I had heaps of fun creating these sparkly, feathery glasses the other day, and they’re very easy to make using the printable template I’ve prepared for you.
What you’ll need:
- Scissors (for grown up use)
- The Mama Finch fancy glasses printable
- Coloured cardboard
- Craft glue
- Sparkly, colourful, textured things to decorate your glasses. We used sequins, glitter, and feathers, but you can get as creative as you like with this – try strips of washi tape, little squares of coloured paper, tinfoil, cellophane, dried leaves and flowers, stickers – whatever you think will be fun!
- Pipe cleaners (two per pair of glasses)
What to do:
- Either print the templates directly onto coloured card, OR print them out on paper, cut them out, and trace them onto the card you want to use. How you do this will depend on the printer and media you have.
- Carefully cut the glasses from the cardboard.
- Offer your child the glue, and the decorative items you’ve chosen, and go crazy, making each pair of glasses as colourful and flamboyant as you like. (I always find that doing this with Arty, and modelling what to do gets him more involved and interested in the activity. I make a start, talk about what I’m doing, and then he wants to join in and make his own.)
- Allow the glue to dry.
- Carefully pierce holes in each pair of glasses where you want to attach the arms.
- Poke pipe cleaners through the arm holes, and secure by twisting (do this carefully to avoid tearing the cardboard. If you accidentally do tear it, it’s easily fixed with a little sticky tape).
- Bend the arms in the appropriate place to allow them to curl around their wearer’s ears.
- Wear your glasses with attitude.
- Take lots of photos, and share them with me on Instagram or Facebook so I can see how glam you are.
What your kid’s doing:
- Fine motor development
- Developing creativity using colour, texture, and shape
- Enjoying pretend play and developing imagination through dress ups.
Channel your inner Elton, and give these a go. You’ll be fabulous.