I find I am constantly experimenting in my never ending quest for interesting lunchbox fillers. If it’s lying around in my kitchen, chances are I’ll try to bake it into something snack-shaped.
After making granola a la Josie the other day, I found I had some bran kicking around, and frankly, it never stood a chance.
Here’s what I did to it…
Honey bran bars
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup honey
- 200g butter
- 2 cups processed bran
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 3/4 cup sultanas
- 3/4 cup shredded coconut
- 1 1/2 cups puffed brown rice
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 180ºc, and line a medium baking tray with greaseproof paper.
- In a small saucepan, heat butter, brown sugar, and honey until butter has melted, and the mixture is bubbling fluffily. It will smell amazing, but don’t be tempted to stick your finger in it because it will burn the crap out of you.
- Set aside for a couple of minutes to cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, combine all remaining ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
- Pour melted butter mixture over dry ingredients and stir until thoroughly combined.
- Tip mixture into baking tray, and press firmly in. I find that taking a piece of greaseproof paper and using it to press the mixture down with my hands works better than using the back of a spoon.
- Bake for 15 mins, then remove from oven and allow to cool completely before cutting into portions.
I like to wrap each portion in greaseproof paper before storing them in an airtight container in the fridge. It’s easier to do the grab-and-go thing.
I also like to take any crumbly bits that come off while chopping, put them in a bowl, pour milk over them, and eat them like granola. Chef’s treat.