Valentines Day is one of my favourite celebrations of the year. It’s not about any kind of religious observance, or complicated historical event. It’s just for celebrating love. And we all love love, right?
I also like that it’s an ‘opt-in’ holiday. You can make a big deal about it and really get into the spirit if you want to, but nobody’s going to judge you if its not your bag.
I choose the former because it’s fun, romantic, and an excellent excuse to show my girl some extra love. Not that I need one, but you know.
This year I thought I’d make a fun rainbow-themed card for the colourful and/or queer among us to give to our preciouses. I love pink and red, but they’re not the only colours, and sometimes it’s fun to embrace the whole spectrum.
Here’s how I made it…
What you’ll need:
- Small pieces of coloured cardstock in red, orange, yellow, green, blue, and purple
- Kraft cardstock for the card
- Craft glue or other adhesive (I used a rolling adhesive)
- Black fineliner
What to do:
- Cut your kraft cardstock into a 6 x 4.5 inch rectangle, then fold it in half to make the base of your card. Set this aside.
- From each piece of coloured cardstock, cut identical hearts measuring 1.5 inches wide.
- Fold each heart in half (I used a scoring board to make extra clean folds, but this isn’t essential).
- Apply some adhesive to the back of the right half of your green heart. Glue the back of the left side of your blue heart to this.
- Apply some adhesive to the back of the right half of your blue heart. Glue the back of the left side of your purple heart to this.
- You will now have a lovely 3D heart. Set this aside
- Apply some adhesive to the back of the right half of your red heart. Glue the back of the left side of your orange heart to this.
- Apply some adhesive to the back of the right half of your orange heart. Glue the back of the left side of your yellow heart to this.
- Now you have another 3D heart! You’re so clever!
- Place these next to each other on the front of your card to make a rainbow effect. When you’re happy with their positions, fix them in place with glue.
- With your fineliner, write “love” beneath the first heart, and “you” beneath the second. Or whatever you like, obviously!
- Write a message inside, and give it to your valentine!
Have fun spreading the love!