this week, my friend talia tried some collage art with her son, and it got me thinking about having a go with something similar for arty. we had glitter in the craft cupboard, and i always have little offcuts of coloured paper from my scrapbooking, so i thought we’d start there. here’s how it went:
what we used:
clear craft glue
blue and silver glitter (ours is in handy shaker bottles, but you could easily put glitter in bowls, and sprinkle it with your fingers)
pieces of coloured paper torn into small pieces
large piece of black cardboard
what we did:
- poured some glue into a bowl to make it easy to dip a paintbrush into.
- splotched and splodged glue all over the cardboard
- sprinkled glitter liberally over the cardboard, shaking the paper around to allow it to stick to all the gluey bits.
- stuck pieces of paper on the gloopier blobs of glue.
- sang ‘twinkle twinkle’ the whole time
- use a die cutter to cut actual star shapes out of the paper scraps (if i’d thought of this in advance, i’d’ve done it, but this was an off-the-cuff activity that i didn’t want to lose momentum on)
- find some star-shaped glitter to go with the plain glitter
- with bigger kids, try to make actual constellations, or even a map of the solar system