Sometimes you’ve just got to bake a classic.
Strawberry jam drops
- 125g butter, softened
- 165g sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 225g self raising flour
- 60g cornflour
- strawberry jam
- Line three baking trays with greaseproof paper, and preheat oven to 180ºc.
- Cream butter and sugar until light.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating until well combined. Add Vanilla extract with the second egg.
- Sift in flours and stir thoroughly.
- Spoon dough onto trays in roughly 1tbsp portions. Be sure to space these roughly 6cm apart, because they will spread as they bake. Depending on how much of the dough you eat in the process, the mixture should yield around 30 biscuits.
- Make a small dimple in the top of each biscuit with your finger, and fill this with jam. About 1/2tsp in each works well.
- Bake for 10 mins.
- Allow to cool on the tray for a few minutes, then remove to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Store in a biscuit tin or airtight container.
I’m pretty happy to be starting the week with a big tin full of these beauties. I’ll stick a couple in Arty & SJ’s lunch boxes each day, and make sure I have one or two with a cup of tea on my breaks too.
What an excellent treat.