The three chocolates in these muffins are Dutch cocoa, chocolate chips, and cacao nibs. This produces a muffin with richness, sweetness, and a depth of flavour that you don’t get from your average chocolate muffin.
The brown sugar also adds to the richness, and my goodness they are yum.
Here’s how to make them:
Triple chocolate muffins
- 330g self raising flour
- 270g brown sugar
- 50g Dutch cocoa
- pinch salt
- 30g cacao nibs
- 200g milk chocolate chips
- 120g butter, melted and cooled
- 125ml milk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- Preheat oven to 180ºc, and line 18 holes of two muffin tins with patty pans (if you’re making large muffins, a 12 hole tin will do).
- Combine flour, sugar, cocoa, salt, nibs, and choc chips in a medium mixing bowl, then make a well in the middle.
- Pour wet muffin ingredients into the well, and stir until combined.
- Distribute mix evenly between patty pans.
- Bake for 20 minutes, until they spring back when lightly pressed.
‘Scuse me, I have to go and eat three of these now…